Position Title: Community Impact & Communications Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Purpose of Position: Support and advance United Way’s mission by directing the development, implementation and evaluation of our community impact. Build relationships with community partners that advance the United Way’s community impact agenda. Develop and direct the overall organizational marketing, communications and branding strategy to support United Way’s mission and community impact agenda.
Provide Professional Staff Support to: United Way’s Community Impact Cabinet, Focus Area Sub-Committees, the Early Literacy Coalition of ENC and the Communications & Marketing Committee.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday September 29.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the United Way’s grant decision-making process.
- Measure progress of community impact initiatives for United Way’s funded community partner organizations such as mid-year and final reports, and logic models.
- Identify and promote educational and collaborative opportunities for community organizations.
- Promote advocacy efforts for United Way’s community impact issues.
- Present progress and outcomes of community impact initiatives to staff, community partners, volunteers, and the community-at-large.
- Participate in collaborative work groups and community task forces as needed.
- Plan and develop Community Impact budget with Executive Director. Execute resources within the constraints of the approved budget.
- Administer Imagination Library and early literacy research, enrollment events and activities in collaboration with the Early Literacy Coalition of ENC.
Communication & Marketing
Develop strategies to increase awareness of United Way’s programs via content development, social media, website, email campaigns, and community partnerships
- Use a variety of methods and techniques to achieve communication goals such as news releases, radio and television scripts, giving directories, feature articles, personal appearances, news conferences, exhibits, brochures, attendance at relevant community meetings, advertisements, social media, information packets, flyers etc.
- Analyze current market and trends in order to improve outreach efforts
- Establish and develop effective relationships with media representatives and public affairs personnel.
- Provide support to United Way staff for written content used for resource development materials including but not limited to: giving directories, donation solicitation letters, etc.
- Identify program funding opportunities.
- Research and prepare grant proposals and applications.
- Develop relationship with local and state-wide foundations
- Collaborate with United Way Staff to engage donors or prospective donors as needed.
· Possess a valid driver’s license and be available to travel regularly in execution of duties and responsibilities.
· Work occasional evenings and weekends as required.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Skills and Core Competencies:
o Relationship Management: The ability to build, leverage, and maintain mutually positive relationships that provide support for and add value to United Way, its programs, and the community.
o Consultative Selling: Ability to cooperate/collaborate with customers and stakeholders to clearly define their objectives to identify solutions that solve their needs and lead to increased revenue.
o Problem Solving and Decision Making: Identifying, analyzing, organizing, and solving problems and issues in a timely, effective manner. Uses data and input from others to make sound, timely decisions even in the face of uncertainty.
o Communication: Presents ideas in a style that is clear, fluent, and to the point; keeps the attention of others; clearly articulates the key points of an issue; takes recipients’ perspectives into consideration. Experience with branding, advertising, public relations, or related fields. Experience with conducting television and radio interviews. Experience with writing news releases, public service announcements, newsletter content, etc. for a variety of audiences. Demonstrated ability to compose correspondence and reports for high level officials and administrators. Excellent analytical skill in researching and interpreting data, and presenting analyses both orally and in writing.
o Results Orientation: The capacity to be energized and excited by challenging objectives. Strives to exceed goals set by self or others; achieves high level, sustainable performance.
o Integrity: Consistently honors commitments and takes responsibility for actions and words.
o Flexibility: Demonstrates adaptability, openness to alternative solutions and flexibility when interacting with others, understanding their attitudes, needs, interests, and perspectives.
o Inclusiveness: The ability to network, partner with all stakeholders including broad and diverse representation of private/public and traditional/non-traditional community organizations.
- Computer Literacy: Computer experience with website development and maintenance, print publication programs and digital media programs.
o Volunteer Management: Volunteer management experience required.
o Time Management: A firm mastery of time management and organization skills.
o Work Style: Ability to work both independently and in groups, using judgment and discretion. A good team player. Ability to handle multi-level projects and priorities. Able to carry out assignments independently, resolve most conflicts that arise, prioritize multiple tasks, and coordinate work with others. Ability to maintain professional composure and to work cooperatively with the public on a daily basis.
o Mission Driven: Commitment to the mission, values and ethical standards of United Way of Pitt County.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Public Administration, Public Policy or Human Services preferred
- Minimum of 3 years leadership experience in a community organization.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in public relations or communications is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written, oral, presentation, and facilitation skills required.
- Non-for- profit, strategic planning, grant writing and supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop; Content Management Software; and electronic newsletter software is preferred.